img-name-mising

Le Prieuré Saint-Georges

Religious heritage, Romanesque in Couches
  • In the 7th century, a monastery was built which was destroyed by the Saracens in 725. Rebuilt in the 9th century, it became an abbey and then a priory (a branch of Flavigny Abbey) in 1098. In 1463, the church was restored and consecrated in 1496 by Antoine de Cluny.
    The ribbed vaults in front of the apses are one of the most unusual Romanesque vaults in Burgundy.
    Visit the exterior only and the interior on Fridays during the Tourist Office's guided tours.
  • Spoken languages
    • French
Services
  • Activities
    • Specific theme activities
    • Temporary exhibitions
  • Rates
  • Gratuities
    From 0 €